How to Get W2 From Old Job: Employers are running out of time to provide W-2s to employees for the 2023 tax season. Here’s what you can do if you haven’t gotten yours. Read on!

How to Get W2 From Old Job

When it comes to paying your annual taxes, a W-2 form is essential. Companies submit W-2s to all of their employees at the start of each year, which include information about the previous year’s earnings and taxes.

If you changed employment within the last year, you must still obtain a W-2 from your previous employer in order to correctly pay your taxes.

In this post, we will explain how to obtain your W-2 from a prior job and provide advice if you have not yet gotten it.


Why do You Need to Get a W-2 From Your Previous Employer?

If you changed jobs within the last year, you must obtain a W-2 form from your prior employer in order to submit your taxes. This form is used to determine how much tax you owe or if you are eligible for a tax refund. This form contains data such as:

  • Amount deducted from your salary for federal, state, Social Security, and Medicare taxes
  • Contribution from your employer to your healthcare
  • How much money did you make at that firm in the previous year?
  • The IRS requires businesses to deliver W-2 forms to all current and former workers who earned at least $600 in the previous year.
  • Total amount of dependent care benefits received
  • Your yearly payments to your retirement account

How to Get W2 From Old Job|6 Steps to Follow

Before the end of January, the IRS requires your former employer to provide you with a copy of your W-2.

If your W-2 has not arrived before the first few weeks of the year, or if you have misplaced the form, you may need to take action to avoid tax filing penalties.

Here are some basic actions you can do to ensure you get your W-2 on time:

1. Check the Date

Know essential tax dates, and keep an eye on the calendar to see when you should interfere. Your former employer has until January 31 to provide you with your W-2 form. As a result, it may not arrive until the first week of February.

The IRS estimates that you should get your W-2 by February 14 at the latest.

2. Change your Address if you Moved

If your address has changed after you left your previous company, make sure you filled out a change-of-address form at your local US Post Office.

You must normally wait seven to ten days after submitting this form before the USPS processes your request and mail arrives at your new address.

If you forget to complete out this form when you moved, mail delivered to your old address will not be forwarded to your new address, and the Postal Service may have returned your W-2 to your former employer.

3. Search your Email

You may have requested paperless tax statements, or your previous company may want to transmit tax paperwork electronically.

Look in your inbox and spam folder for an email informing you that your tax paperwork is ready.

This message will usually contain a link to a secure online platform where you can access and download vital documents like your W-2.

4. Contact your Former Employer

If you have not received your W-2 before the end of January, contact your prior employer first.

If your employer has a human resources (HR) department, contact them to inquire about the status of your W-2 and to ensure they have your accurate mailing address.

They may have mailed the form, but it was lost or delivered to the wrong address. Call your former manager if the firm does not have an HR department. To save time, offer to pick up your W-2 in person.

5. Contact the Payroll Administrator

If the company you worked for utilises a third-party service to conduct payroll, contact the payroll administrator by phone or email.

Confirm the address they have on file for you once again, and request a new copy if they mailed the form but it did not arrive.


6. Contact the IRS

If you are unable to reach your previous employer, they fail to reply to your request, or you have not received your W-2 by February 14, contact the IRS at 800-829-1040.

Give the representative the company’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), which can be found on old pay stubs or the prior year’s W-2.

You may also be required to supply information such as your contact information and Social Security number, as well as the contact information for your employer, your projected wages, and the days you worked for that firm.

The IRS then sends a reminder to your previous employer to mail your W-2.

You can book an appointment at your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centre if you prefer to conduct tax communications in person. Bring all relevant information with you, including the company’s EIN, to expedite the process.

Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share “How to Get W2 From Old Job” with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.