Fulbright Scholarship for Pakistani Students program has been instrumental in promoting international education and cultural exchange for decades. For Pakistani students aspiring to pursue higher education abroad, the Fulbright scholarship offers a golden opportunity to realize their academic dreams.
This article will take you into the details of the Fulbright scholarship for Pakistani students, exploring its benefits, eligibility criteria, the application process, and the impact it can have on students’ lives.
About the Fulbright Scholarship for Pakistani Students
The Fulbright scholarship program, sponsored by the United States Department of State, aims to foster mutual understanding between the people of the United States and those of other countries.
It provides opportunities for Pakistani students to pursue graduate-level studies in the United States, encouraging academic excellence, cultural exchange, and global collaboration.
For the Master’s degree program, eligible candidates will have either a four-year Bachelor’s degree or a Bachelor’s and Master’s combination totaling 16 years of formal education from an accredited university.
Recent graduates are strongly encouraged to apply, except for MBA and Public Policy/Administration applicants, who require 2 years of work experience.
For the PhD degree program, eligible applicants will have a Master’s, M.Phil, or comparable degree (a minimum of 18 years of formal education) from an accredited university.
It is highly desirable that candidates have work experience in teaching, research, or the public sector in Pakistan.
For both the Master’s and PhD programs, all academic disciplines are eligible, except clinical medicine. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE General) is required for all applicants.
Under the new scoring system, a minimum score of 145 is required on each section of the GRE examination, with a higher score on the section most applicable to your field of study.
Applicants must also possess a high level of fluency in spoken and written English. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) will be required from all the selected candidates.
All successful candidates are required to sign a contract with USEFP and, for successful PhD candidates, a bond with the HEC that binds them to return to Pakistan immediately after their program in the U.S. and serve the country for the number of years equivalent to the length of their scholarship program.
This contract is redeemable on a year-for-year basis minimum of two years; as long as a person fulfills the service requirement, they will pay nothing.
Benefits of the Fulbright Scholarship
The Fulbright scholarship offers a range of benefits for Pakistani students, including:
1. Tuition and Fees: The scholarship covers tuition and fees for the duration of the program.
2. Living Stipend: A monthly living stipend is provided to cover accommodation, meals, and other living expenses.
3. Health Insurance: The scholarship includes health insurance coverage.
4. Travel Allowance: A one-time travel allowance is granted to cover the cost of airfare to and from the United States.
5. Research Support: Fulbright scholars receive support for research-related activities and resources.
6. Cultural Exchange Opportunities: Scholars have the chance to engage in cultural exchange activities, fostering a deeper understanding of American society and values.
- Canada Ariell Food Institute Scholarship
- Freshman and University Wide Scholarships
- Simmons University Kotzen Scholarship in USA
- Fully Funded NSERC Collaborative Research & Training Program
Eligibility Criteria for Pakistani Students
To be eligible for the Fulbright scholarship, Pakistani students must meet specific criteria. These generally include:
1. Pakistani citizens with strong academic histories, residing (throughout the process) in Pakistan and committed to returning and serving Pakistan are welcome to apply.
2. All disciplines are eligible except clinical medicine. People in the fields of energy, water, agriculture, health, education, environment, and climate change disciplines are strongly encouraged to apply.
3. Eligible Master’s applicants will have a four-year Bachelor’s degree or a Bachelor’s and Master’s combination (16 years of formal education) and PhD applicants will have Master’s, M.Phil., or a comparable degree (18 years of formal education) from an accredited university.
4. Applicants should be prepared to complete grants without accompanying dependents if need be.
1. Persons with a dual U.S./Pakistan nationality or those having a spouse, parent, siblings, or child over 18 years of age who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
2. Employees of the Fulbright organization, the U.S. Department of State, or USAID, and their spouses, children, fiancés, siblings, dependents, and parents.
3. People who have already availed one Fulbright award for any degree program.
4. Persons already studying in the U.S. or on a work/residence/student visa in any country.
Scholarship Application Process (How to Apply)
A complete application package includes:
1. An application form
2. Three reference letters
3. GRE score report
4. Scanned transcripts, including an explanation of the grading scale of the university issuing the degree should be uploaded. Please note that HEC-attested documents are preferable with the application but degree and transcripts attested by the issuing authority will be acceptable at the time of application.
5. Incomplete applications will not be considered. An application with references and required supporting documents must be submitted online. Please note that paper applications will not be accepted.
- Tomunson Doctoral Fellowships Programme
- Moolahspot Scholarships Programme
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program
- B.P Dammizio Entrance Scholarships
Applications are accepted each year in January/February and the deadline to submit applications is around April/May.
The application review and interview process continue until September and the results are announced in mid-October.
After selection, the university submission and placement process continues until February, and visa interviews take place until June.
The departure to the U.S. commences in July and onwards, depending on the university reporting dates.
Application Current Status: Closed
The Fulbright scholarship program opens doors of opportunity for Pakistani students to pursue their academic dreams in the United States; it is a gateway to new experiences, global connections, and a brighter future for Pakistani students.
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.