Tomunson Doctoral Fellowships: In the pursuit of academic excellence and groundbreaking research, doctoral fellowships play a crucial role in fostering innovation and knowledge advancement. Among the prestigious and highly sought-after opportunities in the academic realm, the Tomunson Doctoral Fellowships have emerged as a prominent program.
About the Tomunson Doctoral Fellowships
Established in 2000 through a very generous gift from Dr. Richard H. Tomlinson, these fellowships are awarded annually by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) to recruit outstanding students into Doctoral degree programs.
They are GPS’ most prestigious internal award. Tomlinson Scholars usually go on to win other prestigious awards like Vaniers or CGSDs.
The Tomunson Doctoral Fellowships represent a prestigious and highly competitive program that aims to support exceptional doctoral candidates across diverse fields of study.
Established by the Tomunson Foundation, these fellowships are designed to empower scholars with the necessary resources and financial support to pursue their research endeavors with unwavering dedication.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
To ensure that only the most qualified and deserving individuals are selected, the Tomunson Doctoral Fellowships have specific eligibility criteria Eligibility
1. The Tomlinson Doctoral Fellowships are for incoming students accepted into a doctoral degree at McGill University with a start date of Fall 2023.
- Students currently enrolled at McGill, or whose latest degree was completed or in progress at McGill, are ineligible.
- Former McGill students who later completed a graduate degree elsewhere may apply. Visiting students at McGill, who are completing the requirements for a degree from another university, may apply.
2. Only applicants with a first-class academic record. McGill considers a first-class GPA to be 3.7 (or 3.5 in Law) in each of the last two (2) years of full-time study at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Note: Tomlinson Scholars who accept a fellowship from an agency external to McGill (federal or provincial) will be entitled to one-half the full value of the Tomlinson Fellowship up to a maximum of $50,000 total, per year.
- King Saud University Scholarship Program
- Canon Collins Sol Plaatje Scholarship
- Cape Breton University Scholarships Programme
- UBC Rio Tokyo Graduate Scholarship Programme
Scholarship Application Process
Application Process and Required Documents below:
Applicants must submit their application package to the department/academic unit where they intend to study.
An internal deadline that is earlier than the GPS deadline may apply. Please contact your department directly for more information about the submission process.
Your application package must include:
1. The Application Form
2. Two letters of reference
- Provide letters from two external referees commenting on the applicant’s academic/research accomplishments and potential. Referees to send the letters directly to the academic unit.
3. Proposed supervisor’s statement commenting on:
- how the applicant’s proposed project integrates with the supervisor’s research program;
- source(s) of funding available for the research program; and
- available resources, such as space, facilities, equipment, and access to required expertise.
4. All official transcripts or certified copies from university-level studies (graduate and undergraduate)
Applicants must already have an admissions letter and a funding letter.
If selected, your department/academic unit will submit your application package along with the other required documents to GPS on your behalf. Application documents should not be submitted directly to GPS.
Scholarship Application Deadlines;
- Deadline for candidates to submit to unit – Confirm with unit
- Deadline for units to submit to GPS – June 06, 2023
- Results Announced: July 2023
The Tomunson Doctoral Fellowships stand as a testament to the commitment to fostering research excellence and nurturing the next generation of intellectual leaders.
Through their comprehensive selection process and generous support, these fellowships empower exceptional doctoral candidates to pursue groundbreaking research and make significant contributions to their fields.
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.