Stormzy Scholarship for Black UK Students|Application Details
Stormzy Scholarship is open for all undergraduates who wish to study at the University of Cambridge. The university is a diverse international community and welcomes talented students from around the world. Read on for more information on how to apply.
About Stomzy Scholarship
The Stormzy Scholarship has helped 19 UK Black students since its introduction in 2018, transforming their university experience by offering financial support.
Before the program was broadened in 2021, there were initially two students enrolled each year.
At least 10 Black students beginning their studies in the fall of 2023 will get scholarships from Stormzy’s Merky Foundation, which is working in collaboration with HSBC UK.
Since the scholarships are non-repayable and come with a maintenance grant, beneficiaries will be much less likely to need to take out loans from the government or from private lenders.
The beneficiaries will have access to this funding during the final three or four years of their undergraduate program.
The total prize given to each student for the academic year of 2023–24 will be worth £20,000. Receipt of this award will not affect eligibility for a Cambridge Bursary.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for a Stormzy Scholarship, applicants must:
1. Have one of the following categories of ethnicity:
- Black African
- Black Caribbean
- Black Other
- Mixed- White and Black Caribbean
- Mixed-White and Black African
- Other mixed backgrounds (to include Black African, Black Caribbean, or Black Other)
2. Have a confirmed place for entry to the University of Cambridge for a first undergraduate degree, and due to commence study in 2023. (You can check the status of your offer on UCAS Track.)
3. Be a UK student and have been assessed for fee status as ‘home’. You were advised of your fee status in the offer letter issued to you earlier this year. If you are in doubt, please contact Cambridge College which has offered you a place.
4. Have applied to Student Finance (England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland) for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan, and have received confirmation that you have been assessed and will receive financial support. An income assessment must have been conducted and consent given to share the information with the University.
- Please note that if you are awarded a Stormzy Scholarship you will be able to reduce the amount of loan you take out to zero, but you will still need an income assessment from Student Finance to be able to receive the Cambridge Bursary.
5. Before applying, you need to check that you have, or are likely to achieve, the right grades at the right level and in the appropriate subjects for the course you have chosen. Check the requirements of your course for details.
- Tennessee Promise Scholarship|Student Aid Program
- FAFSA Scholarships Programme Application Requirements
- Bill Gates Scholarship Program in the United States
- College Scholarships for Veterans Who Served Their Country
Typical Offers and Requirements
Cambridge University expects excellent marks in the highest level qualifications available for school/college students, regardless of the educational system you are using. Most successful applicants ultimately go beyond the terms of their offer.
They actually receive six applications for each opening each year. These numbers, which vary depending on the course, are available on each course page.
The flexibility to evaluate each applicant individually is one of the advantages of the Cambridge admissions process, and colleges may adjust their offers to take into account unique circumstances.
This implies that some candidates may receive offers that are less or more demanding than those indicated on these pages or in the course entries, and some offers may include requirements for grades in particular areas.
Click Here for more information
Application Process and Timetable
To apply for the Stormzy Scholarship, you need to complete the online application. Reopen in August 2023.
Winter pool takes place and decisions are posted to applicants. A small number of applicants may be asked to take part in a further interview.
25 January: Foundation Year application deadline.
15 February: Choral Awards application deadline.
28 February: Instrumental Awards application deadline.
Second round applications deadline for mature students applying to a mature College (restrictions apply).
Extended deadline for mature students for Law to take the LNAT pre-registration assessment, if applying to a mature College in the March application round.
Levels, IB, and other examinations are taken including STEP, where required.
Examination results published and confirmation of conditional offers for 2023 entry (or deferred entry in 2024) that have been met – all conditional offers must be met by the deadline set by UCAS unless otherwise specified.
In conclusion, this scholarship is non-repayable and will cover the full cost of tuition fees and provide a maintenance grant, which will significantly reduce the need for recipients to take out government or commercial loans.
This support will be available to recipients for the three or four years of their undergraduate course.
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.