American University Leader Scholarship: The American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational opportunity and access while encouraging global diversity. The AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision by combining the best aspects of AU: academic achievement, leadership development, and global involvement. For additional details, continue reading.
The AU EGL is committed to bringing about constructive societal and civic change, and they will return home to help underdeveloped and neglected regions there. You are cordially invited to get to know our motivating current AU Emerging Global Leader Scholars and recent EGLS alumni.
American University Leader Scholarship
The AU EGL scholarship provides complete tuition, lodging, and board for one overseas student who needs a visa to study in the United States (ideally an F-1 or J-1 student visa).
The scholarship does not pay for non-billable items such as required health insurance, books, airfare, and other costs (around US$4,000 annually).
Based on sustained good academic progress, the AU EGL scholarship is extendable for a total of four years of undergraduate study.
Please take note: that there is only one Fall 2023 AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship available. Partial merit scholarships may be available to you if you decide to submit another application after being rejected as the 2023 AU EGL recipient. However, you will need to submit proof of additional funds beyond the initial U.S.$4,000 you provided. Estimated costs for the 2023-2024 academic year are U.S.$73,802.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirement
You are NOT eligible to apply if:
1. You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, U.S. pending permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
2. You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
3. You graduated from secondary school earlier than 2022.
4. AU EGLS applicants must apply for Regular Decision for fall (August) 2023. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Preference will be given to:
5. International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
6. A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
7. A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Drake University Bachelors Scholarships Programme
- Fairer Future Global Scholarship for International Students
- Kumi University Full Scholarship Programme for Students
- HAW Undergraduate Scholarship for International Students
Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2022)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English
- 65 minimum PTE
- 120+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 110 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2023.
Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2023.
Note: The AU EGLS selection process is the most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common Application, and international admissions document submission process by December 15, 2023.
Fill out the online AU EGLS application; it will be accessible starting on September 1, 2023.
Send a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form, each of which must show that you have at least $4,000 in U.S. currency. These can be faxed to +1-202-885-1025 or uploaded using your Future Eagle Portal. Bank letter samples and the AU CFIS form sample
By no later than December 15, 2023, you must send in your official TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge Assessment English Exam, Duolingo English, PTE, or other test results. Send official English proficiency test results to American University Undergraduate Admissions immediately, if possible.
Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by the AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2023, or by January 15, 2024, at the latest. Please note that the preliminary AU EGLS application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$73,802). Students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
If you are submitting your application through a program backed by EducationUSA or if you have previously received a FLEX or YES high school scholarship from the U.S. Department of State, please include a letter from the adviser at your local EducationUSA center confirming your eligibility. You can ask for a PDF copy of the letter to be emailed to [email protected].
Even if your name isn’t chosen as one of the finalists, you could still be accepted to American University in Washington, DC, and you might be qualified for partial merit scholarships. However, in order to proceed with the application procedure, you must provide proof of money totaling US$73802 (estimated costs for the first year of study).
Zoom interviews and additional essay submissions will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]
- University of California Masters Scholarship Programme
- Monash University Humanitarian Scholarships Programme
- University of Adelaide PhD Scholarship Application Details
- Imperial College London Masters Scholarship Programme Details
How to Apply
Students at American University come from 123 different countries and all 50 states.
Many of our students come to us from different schools and provide our community of changemakers with a distinct perspective.
Look no further if you’re seeking a school that will intellectually challenge you and gives you access to one of the world’s most diverse cities.
Click below according to your categories to apply:
More than 140 doctoral, master’s, and certificate programs are offered by American University. Whether you want to improve your skills or further your career in business, cinema, policy, the arts, or international affairs, AU offers a wide range of highly regarded academic programs taught by experts that are well-known across the world.
Graduate students are drawn to AU because of its reputation for generating generations of public servants. These students want to expand their knowledge, conduct cutting-edge research, address the most critical global issues, and actively contribute to our tradition of courageous leadership.
Apply as Graduate Students
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.