Have you ever dreamed of receiving a Guggenheim Fellowship? These prestigious awards are designed to support individuals who excel in scholarship or artistic creation. Whether you’re an aspiring scholar or a creative visionary, the Guggenheim Fellowship might be your path to pursuing your passion. Want to know more? Just ask!
Let’s get a little insight about the foundation before diving into the fellowship; In 1925, Senator Simon Guggenheim and his wife, Olga, founded the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation as a tribute to their late son, a promising young scholar who tragically passed away at the age of 17.
In the inaugural letter of donation, Senator Guggenheim expressed the foundation’s mission as enhancing the intellectual, literary, artistic, and scientific contributions to the United States.
The Guggenheim Foundation provides fellowships to exceptionally talented individuals seeking to pursue scholarship in any field of knowledge or engage in creative endeavors across various art forms.
These opportunities are offered without restrictions on race, color, or creed, with the goal of enabling recipients to pursue their work under the most favorable and unrestricted conditions.
- SBI Foundation Scholarship
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
- Keep India Smiling Scholarship
- Rajarshi Shahu Maharaj Scholarship
- Suvarna Jubilee Scholarship
What to Know About Guggenheim Fellowship
Guggenheim Fellowships target individuals in the middle of their careers who have displayed outstanding potential for productive scholarly work or exceptional creative talent in the arts, showing significant promise for their future endeavors.
These fellowships are granted through an annual competition that is open to both U.S. and Canadian citizens and permanent residents. To be considered, candidates must submit applications to the Guggenheim Foundation.
The Foundation receives roughly 3,000 applications every year. It’s important to note that there is no guarantee of success for any applicant, as there is no initial screening; all applications are thoroughly reviewed. Approximately 175 Fellowships are granted annually.
In the meticulous selection process, applicants are initially grouped with others working in the same field and evaluated by experts in that specific domain. Artists’ work is assessed by fellow artists, scientists by fellow scientists, historians by fellow historians, and so forth.
The Foundation maintains a network of several hundred advisers, all of whom are previous Guggenheim Fellows. These advisers either convene at the Foundation’s offices to assess applicants’ work or receive application materials to review offsite.
Subsequently, these advisers provide feedback and rank the applications within their respective fields. Their recommendations are then forwarded to a Selection Committee, which carefully considers and weighs these recommendations to determine the number of awards to be granted in each area. On occasion, there may be no application in a particular field deemed strong enough to warrant a Fellowship.
Eligibility Requirement and Criteria
1. All applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada at the time of application.
2. Persons who have already received a Guggenheim Fellowship are not eligible to apply for another.
3. Guggenheim Fellowships are not available for the creation of residencies, curriculum development, or any type of educational program, nor are they available to support the development of websites or blogs.
4. Our awards are intended for individuals only; they are not available to organizations, institutions, or groups.
5. Guggenheim Fellowships are not open to students (undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate).
How to Apply
The 2024 United States and Canada competition is now open. The application deadline is 11:59 pm EDT, Thursday, September 21, 2023.
If you previously created an account, simply login to your account and create an application for this year.
If you do not remember your password, use the Forgot Password function on the login page to reset your password.
If you do not have an account, sign up for an account and make an account following the onscreen directions. Once you make an account, you can create an application for the 2024 competition.
- PM Young Achievers Scholarship
- Gujarat Digital Scholarship
- KC Mahindra Scholarship
- Samaj Kalyan Scholarship
- Prathibha Scholarship
The 2024 United States and Canada competition is now open.
Mid-August: Competition application portal opens
Mid-September: Deadline to submit applications
- After your application is submitted, you may also receive an email at a later date with further instructions about when to submit examples of your work. Please do not send work examples until you are asked.
Mid-November: References contacted for recommendations
Mid-November: Work example submission deadline
- If you do not receive an email acknowledging receipt of your submitted work, please contact the Foundation.
Mid-April: Notification of competition results sent to all applicants via email.
Check out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.