University of Exeter Chevening Scholarships: The University of Exeter is a Russell Group university that combines top-notch research with exceptionally high levels of student happiness at heart. You can be a part of these students if you are eligible. Kindly go through this article to view eligibility.
About the University of Exeter
Over 19,000 students attend Exeter, which is placed seventh in the times and the Sunday times good university Guide, tenth in The complete university guide, and ninth in the 2015 guardian university guide.
Exeter is also home to the University of Exeter.
The institution received a score of 98% for its research in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), placing it 16th nationally.
The Sunday Times named Exeter as its University of the Year for 2012–13.
The Strategy and Security Institute (SSI)
Strategy and Security Institute (SSI) at Exeter is an interdisciplinary research center that serves as both a response to the recent interventions’ stark emphasis on the strategic imperative and a chance to close the gaps these interventions have revealed by advancing the strategic proficiency of the next generation of leaders.
The Institute conducts research, offers consulting services, and offers instruction in the areas of global security and strategy, with a focus on how people and organizations respond to conflict, unrest, and crises when under extreme duress.
Chevening and the University of Exeter
The Strategy and Security Institute (SSI) at the University of Exeter are interested in the growth of strategic thinking and how the execution of sensible defense and security policies in terms of both hard and soft power may guarantee future global security.
Building trusting ties with organizations throughout the world and the UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO) is part of our effort.
Who Can Apply for a Chevening Scholarship?
Note: Applications for fully funded Chevening Scholarships to study for one-year master’s degrees at UK universities are now closed.
Outstanding young leaders from all around the world can study for one year for master’s degrees in the UK thanks to Chevening.
Although there is no such thing as the “average” Chevening Scholar, individuals who are successful typically possess ambition, leadership skills, and a desire to affect positive change in their home countries.
If you meet their qualifying standards and other prerequisites, they invite you to apply. They don’t care about your gender, age (there is no upper age restriction), sexual orientation, religion, marital status, parental status, caste, class, or any other characteristics.
What counts is your capacity to submit a well-thought-out application that proves both your ability to succeed in a demanding master’s degree in the UK and your ability to articulate a distinct future goal.
- James McCune Smith PhD Scholarships
- PA School Scholarships and Grants to Apply for
- Left-Handed Scholarship Programme for College Students
- International Travel Scholarships and Grants for Students
Before completing your Chevening application, make sure you meet the minimum work experience criteria for the scholarship. Candidates for Chevening Scholarships must have at least two years of professional experience.
You won’t be able to submit your application if you don’t already have the necessary amount of job experience.
Eligible Types of Work Experience
The types of work experience those are eligible for Chevening can include:
- Full-time employment
- Part-time employment
- Voluntary work
- Paid or unpaid internships
You can gain work experience before, during, or after finishing your undergraduate degree.
However, any required work that was used to fulfill requirements for your undergraduate or graduate studies would not be acceptable.
The need for work experience does not have to be satisfied in a single time of employment. To satisfy the criteria, applicants may submit a total of fifteen separate job periods.
More to know About Work Experience
Please provide the periods that account for the most hours worked if you have held more than fifteen roles.
Chevening does not need you to resign from your job if you are already employed.
You are advised to discuss your application with your employer and it is your responsibility to ensure that they will release you if you are selected for a Chevening Scholarship.
The British embassy/high commission or the Chevening Secretariat cannot intervene in this.
How to Calculate your Work Experience
The number of weeks worked will be multiplied by the number of hours worked each week to determine your entries.
For the sake of this calculation, a working week is 35 to 60 hours long, and a working year is 40 to 50 weeks long. Anything that goes over the maximum for full-time employment will be excluded.
The minimum number of hours an applicant must have before applying for a Chevening Scholarship is as follows:
- Chevening Scholarships – two years’ work experience = 2,800 hours
If you have worked part-time, the minimum requirement will have been accumulated over a longer period.
Ineligible applications will be rejected, so it is important that you check that you meet their eligibility criteria before you start your application.
To be eligible for a Chevening Scholarship you must:
1. Be a citizen of a nation or territory that is eligible for Chevening.
2. For a least two years after your award has finished, go back to your home country.
3. By the time you submit your application, you must have finished all requirements for an undergraduate degree that will allow you to enroll in a postgraduate program at a UK university.
- According to your subject and university selection, this is normally similar to an upper second-class 2:1 honors degree in the UK, though it may be different.
4. Possess a minimum of two years’ worth (2,800 hours) of work experience.
5. Apply to three distinct qualified UK university programs, and by July 13, 2023, you must have received an unconditional offer from one of them.
You are not eligible for a Chevening Scholarship if you:
1. Acquire British or dual citizenship (unless you are applying from Hong Kong and are a citizen of a British Overseas Territory or have BN(O)).
2. Hold refugee status in a nation that is ineligible for Chester. Candidates for a scholarship must be citizens of a Chevening-eligible nation or have refugee status in a Chevening-eligible country.
4. Are currently employed by Her Majesty’s Government, have been employed there in the two years since the Chevening application process opened (including the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, all British Embassies/High Commissions, the Home Office, the Ministry of Defence, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the Department for International Trade and the UKVI), the British Council, a sponsoring UK university, or a staff member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
5. Employees, former employees, or relatives* of an employee of Chevening Partner organizations are eligible to apply, but if the employment took place within the last two years, you cannot receive a Chevening Partner Award from the organization from which you work, previously worked, or are affiliated with through relatives.
6. Have formerly received financial aid from a scholarship provided by the UK government to study in the country.
7. Even if you already hold a master’s degree, you are still eligible to apply for a Chevening Award to pursue a second master’s degree in the UK if you can convincingly demonstrate how it would advance your career goals of influencing good change in your home country.
8. Applications are electronically screened against our eligibility requirements after they have been submitted. Applications that are found to be ineligible will not be considered in the selection process.
- If you make any of these mistakes on your application form, it will not be accepted. Please be aware that after your application has been submitted, there is no going back and making changes.
- Navajo Nation Scholarship Programme
- Taco Bell Scholarship: Live Más Scholarship
- Amazon Scholarship Programme for Undergraduates
- Mike Rowe Scholarship: Work Ethic Scholarship for Students
The process of selecting Chevening Scholars takes a minimum of eight months from the application deadline to when applicants are conditionally selected for an award.
Here is an overview of the application and selection process, so you always know what’s going on.
2nd August 2023: Applications open at 12:00 BST
1st November 2023: Applications close at 12:00 GMT
- The deadline for applications is 1 November 2023 at 12:00 GMT (midday UK time)
2nd November 2023: Applications are sifted against eligibility criteria.
Mid-November to December 2023: Reading committee assessments
- Independent reading committees assess all eligible applications. Their scores and rankings are then passed back to local British embassies/high commissions.
Early to Mid-February 2024: Applicants Shortlisted For Interviews
- Once the embassy/high commission has reviewed the applications that were passed on to them, they produce a shortlist of those who they will invite to interview. Notifications will then follow. Congratulations if you make it this far. To prepare for your interview, please read our interview guidance.
February to Late April 2024: References and Education Documents Deadline
- Shortlisted candidates will be requested to submit two references and their education documents prior to their interview date. Read about what we require from your references.
27th February TO 28th April 2024: Interviews take place
- Candidates from all over the world are interviewed by panels at British embassies and high commissions.
From June 2024: Results
- After months of preparation and trepidation, the strongest candidates will experience jubilation when interview results are announced from June onwards.
13th July 2024: Offer Deadline
- The deadline to receive and submit at least one unconditional UK university offer is 17:00 BST (UK time) on 13 July 2024.
September/October 2024: Studies begin in the UK
- 2023/2024 Chevening Scholars commence their studies in the UK, and enter into an international network that they’ll be a part of for the rest of their lives!
Visit Here for more information
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.