Get to know how to cancel state farm insurance if you may want to switch to a different insurer at some point.
It is critical to have adequate insurance coverage to protect your assets, but you do not want to keep the same insurance coverage indefinitely.
If that’s the case, you’ll need to learn how to change car insurance. If you currently have State Farm auto insurance, the first step will be to figure out how to cancel State Farm auto insurance.
The good news is that there are several ways to easily cancel your State Farm coverage. Here’s what you need to know about canceling and some things to think about before you do so.
State Farm’s Cancellation Policy
State Farm gives you the option of canceling your policy immediately or at a later date. To cancel your coverage, you must provide certain information, such as your name, date of birth, and insurance policy number.
Covered policyholders canceling because they have sold their vehicle may be required to provide a bill of sale or proof that they have forfeited their vehicle’s license plate.
There is no cancellation fee with State Farm, and you can cancel your coverage at any time. If you paid your insurance premiums in advance, you may be eligible for a prorated refund.
How to Cancel Your State Farm Insurance Policy
You have three different alternatives to cancel your State Farm policy. Here they are.
Cancel Your State Farm Insurance by Phone
To cancel State Farm Insurance by phone:
- Find your local State Farm agent’s phone number. If you don’t already know who to contact, you can use State Farm’s website to find contact information for a local agent. You can also call 800-STATEFARM if you have an auto insurance policy, but you cannot cancel other types of policies through this number.
- Give us the information we need to look up your policy. You must provide your name, birth date, and policy number.
- Set the date on which you want the cancellation to go into effect. You have the option of canceling immediately or specifying a future date when you want your coverage to end.
- Please provide any documentation that is required. If you are canceling your coverage because you sold your car, you may be required to provide documents such as a bill of sale or proof that you returned your license plate to your state. If you’re switching carriers, you may be required to provide information about your new insurer.
- If necessary, notify the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Some states require you to notify the DMV of any changes to your auto insurance policy. Your insurance agent should be able to tell you whether or not you need to notify the DMV.
Canceling Your State Farm Insurance by Mail
You also have the option to submit your request to cancel your insurance policy via mail. To cancel State Farm insurance via this approach:
- Determine when you want your policy to expire. Your letter must be mailed at least two weeks before the date you intend to cancel your coverage.
- Create a letter that includes all of the necessary information. In the letter requesting cancellation of your policy, include your name, address, phone number, and insurance policy number. You should also include a cancellation date. If you are switching to a new insurer, provide the name of that company, as well as the start date of your new policy and the new policy number.
- Please submit any required documentation. If you’re canceling coverage because you sold your vehicle, these could include a bill of sale or proof that you forfeited your license plates.
- Please sign and date your letter. Please include your signature on the cancellation request.
Send your letter. It should be mailed to State Farm Insurance, One State Farm Plaza, Bloomington, IL 61710.
You will need to plan ahead more if you choose this method because you cannot cancel instantly when you mail your letter, unlike if you cancel via phone.
Cancel Your State Farm Insurance in Person
Lastly, you have the option to cancel your State Farm insurance coverage in person. To achieve this:
- Find a State Farm agent in your area. If you are unsure who to contact, you can use State Farm’s online tool to locate agents in your area.
- Collect your information. Bring your contact information, your policy number, and the date you want your coverage to expire.
- Obtain any necessary documents. If you’ve sold your car and no longer require coverage, required documents may include a bill of sale or proof that you’ve returned your license plate.
- Inform your local office about your cancellation. It might be a good idea to contact your agent first to schedule an appointment.
Canceling in person can be done quickly, and your cancellation can be effective instantly.
Bundled Policies with State Farm
If you have a home and car insurance package and cancel one of your policies, the others may become more expensive.
Because you’ll be “unbundling” insurance, you’ll lose any discounts associated with having multiple policies with the same carrier.
If you’re switching all of your bundled policies to a new insurer, make sure to notify State Farm of any coverage you’re canceling.
However, if you’re only switching one policy, consider the total cost of all of your insurance coverage when deciding on the best car insurance for you.
If another insurance provider offers you a lower rate on your auto policy but increases the cost of your homeowners or renters’ insurance, switching your coverage may not be the best option.
How to be Smart About Switching Car Insurance
If you’re canceling State Farm, it’s most likely because you’re looking for a new insurance policy. If that’s the case, it’s critical to make the right decisions when looking for a new carrier and transitioning.
To guarantee that your change in coverage goes smoothly:
- Collect the necessary information. All drivers who will be covered by the new insurance policy must have their names, birth dates, and Social Security numbers provided. Giving your vehicle identification number (VIN) can help you get more accurate insurance quotes and is required before you can get coverage.
- To obtain new insurance quotes, contact several insurance companies. It’s a good idea to get quotes from several companies to see who has the best deal on the coverage you require.
- Make certain you understand the coverage you require. If you want to replicate your current coverage, review the declarations page from your current insurer to determine the amount of protection you have. If you don’t have a copy, request one from your service provider.
- Contrast apples with apples. When comparing quotes from various car insurance companies, make sure they all provide the same level of coverage. This includes bodily injury liability, property damage coverage, collision coverage, and comprehensive coverage. It also means the same policy limits, such as a $50,000 bodily injury limit and a $10,000 property damage limit.
- Give your current insurer plenty of advance notice. You should notify your current insurer that you are canceling the policy to avoid paying for duplicate coverage.
- Prevent coverage gaps. It is critical to obtain new car insurance coverage before canceling your old policy. Going without insurance is illegal in most states, and it can also raise your future rates.
By taking each of these steps, you can maximize the chances you’ll be happy with your new coverage and maximize any savings that can come from switching carriers.
Can I Cancel State Farm Auto Insurance Online?
State Farm auto insurance cannot be canceled online.
You can cancel by mail at least two weeks before your coverage expires by sending a written request to Corporate Headquarters; State Farm Insurance; One State Farm Plaza; Bloomington, IL 61710.
Additionally, you can also cancel your State Farm insurance over the phone or in person by contacting a local agent.
You can find contact information for State Farm agents using the insurer’s online tool, or you can call 800-STATEFARM if you only want to cancel auto insurance.
Is there a Fee to Cancel State Farm Insurance?
State Farm does not demand a cancellation fee.
Does State Farm Refund Your Money if You Cancel?
If you prepaid premiums for a State Farm insurance policy and you revoke your coverage before the end of your policy term, you should be eligible for a prorated refund.
Can You Cancel Your Insurance with State Farm Anytime?
You can cancel your State Farm insurance policy at any time. If you want to cancel by mail, you must sign and mail your letter at least two weeks before your policy expires.
If you cancel by phone or in person, you can specify the date and time of your cancellation, as well as make it effective immediately.
Canceling a State Farm insurance policy can be done over the phone, in person, or by mail.
Just be aware that if you cancel only one of your policies, you will forfeit any existing discounts for bundling insurance with the company.
Also, get your new insurance in place before canceling to avoid a costly lapse in coverage.
Check out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.