Have you been looking for information on how to obtain UK Scholarships for Nigerian Students? If so, this article offers you a list of current scholarships in the UK for Nigerians, international students, and other citizens of developing Africa. Read down!
For Bachelor’s, Master’s, Ph.D., and Fellowship programs, for example, some of these scholarships are entirely financed, while others are partially sponsored for both postgraduate and undergraduate students.
List of UK Scholarships for Nigerian Students
The majority of these scholarships are primarily supported by private institutions and the British government.
1. Commonwealth 2023 Master’s Scholarships
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission offers three Master’s degree programs, one of which was nominated by the agency.
The UK government’s scholarship program is run by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC), with a focus on goals for international development.
It functions within the parameters of the CSFP (Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan) and provides a striking illustration of the UK’s ongoing dedication to the Commonwealth.
The Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships are funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and are intended for students who would not otherwise be able to afford to study in the UK.
The scholarships help talented and motivated people acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for sustainable development.
Intended Beneficiaries: Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships are for candidates from eligible low and middle-income Commonwealth countries, to undertake full-time taught Master’s study at a UK university.
- KDSG Scholarship and Eligibility
- Federal Government Scholarship
- Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada
- List of Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria
- Canadian Scholarships for Nigerian Students 2023/2024
To apply for these scholarships, candidates must:
1. Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
2. Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
3. Be available to start academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2023
4. By September 2023, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honors standard, or a second class degree (2:2) and relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree). The CSC would not normally fund a second UK Master’s degree. If you are applying for a second UK Master’s degree, you will need to provide justification as to why you wish to undertake this study
5. Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
6. Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format.
Scholarship Requirements: Supporting documentation
For consideration, your application must be submitted by the deadline with the supplemental materials listed below:
1. Authentication of citizenship or refugee status in a Commonwealth nation: a copy of your valid passport (or national ID card) displaying your photograph, date of birth, and country of citizenship uploaded to the online application system
2. Full transcripts with all of your higher education credentials, including the most recent transcripts for any degrees you may be pursuing, must be uploaded to the online application system with certified translations if your native language is not English.
3. Outside of the online application system, supporting documents cannot be sent to the CSC.
4. You must also provide the names and contact details of three referees who will be contacted in advance of the placement stage, should your application be under consideration for a scholarship.
Please Note: that the CSC does not charge candidates to apply for any of its scholarships or fellowships through its online application system, and it does not charge organizations to nominate candidates.
How to Apply
You must register for one of the following authorized courses at a UK university that is a participant in order to be eligible for your scholarship.
You can apply for more than one degree and more than one university through the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships Scheme, but you can only accept one offer of a Shared Scholarship. Please be aware that these grants are not eligible for undergraduate or Ph.D. study; they are only available for Master’s programs.
You must be admitted to your course in addition to submitting an application for a Shared Scholarship. For information about the university’s specific application requirements, admission requirements, and deadlines, please get in touch with that institution.
In addition to any other applications that your nominating body may require you to submit, you must submit your application through the CSC’s online application system. Applications not submitted using the online application system will not be accepted by the CSC.
Application Deadline: October 18, 2024.
2. Gates Scholarships
Gates Cambridge Scholarships were established in October 2000. And it was by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. This was following a donation of US$210m to the University of Cambridge.
The aim was to encourage outstanding postgraduate students from the world over to study at the University. Also, it is one of the UK scholarships for Nigerian students.
However, applicants must come from countries outside the UK. And must be willing to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Scholarship Value: It covers the full cost of studying at the University. And there are no restrictions on country of origin or subjects to be studied. However, this is so long as it is at a postgraduate level.
1. Applicants must come from countries outside the UK. And must have outstanding intellectual ability.
2. Also, must have leadership potential. And a commitment to improving the lives of others.
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
1. A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
2. Applying to pursue one of the following courses at the University of Cambridge:
3. Ph.D. (full-time or part-time*)
4. MLitt (full-time)
5. One-year postgraduate course (full-time), with some exceptions – see below:
* For October 2024 entry, Gates Cambridge is piloting a scheme that allows applicants to apply for funding for a part-time doctoral degree.
Currently a Student at Cambridge?
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are a current Cambridge student who wants to enroll in a new postgraduate program.
For instance, you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to pursue a Ph.D. if you are currently pursuing an MPhil. Current Gates Cambridge Scholars who are pursuing a new degree may also apply for a second fellowship.
In the second, worldwide round, all current Cambridge students will be taken into consideration. However, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to pay for the remaining portion of a degree that you have already begun (for example, if you are halfway through a Ph.D.).
Applications for the 2023-24 academic year will open on 15 September 2024
3. 100 City Law School International Awards for Academic Excellence in the UK
Also, this is one of the UK scholarships for Nigerian students. Outstanding aspirants are invited to become a part of the 100 City Law School International Scholarships for Academic Excellence.
Also, the bursaries are available to domestic, EU, and international students for the academic year 2021-2022.
Furthermore, the funding program is awarded to students who are willing to be part of City Law School’s postgraduate and professional programs.
Scholarship Value: £5,000 (BVS), £3,000 (GE LLB, LPC, LLM) and £2,000 (GDL).
Applicants must hold academic merit (2:1 or 1st) or international equivalent. Also, must submit an academic transcript. And include certified copies of your academic records, CV, and certificates.
The application deadline for BVS, LPC, and LLM in Legal Practice courses will be considered on a rolling basis.
Application Deadline: November 1st, 2024.
4. Reach Oxford Scholarships
Also, this is one of the UK scholarships for Nigerian students. It offers international students the opportunity to study at the University of Oxford.
Also, it covers any undergraduate course offered at the University of Oxford. However, with the exception of medicine.
Scholarship Value: Covers tuition and college fees, living expenses, and one return plane ticket per year.
The applicant has to be a student from a developing country like Nigeria. And must have applied for an undergraduate course at the university.
Visit the application link for this information.
5. Leiden University Excellence Scholarships (LexS)
This scholarship is open to outstanding non-EU/EEA students. However, they must be enrolling in a full-time master’s degree program at Leiden University.
Also, this is one of the UK scholarships for Nigerian students. However, for more information about this scholarship, please visit the application link below.
Scholarship Value: €10.000 – €15.000 tuition fee.
Students must have achieved excellent study results in their previous education. Also, must have a non-EEA.
1. Apply online and, if necessary, pay the application cost for admission to a master’s program at Leiden University.
2. Indicate that you want to apply for a LExS in the area of your online application that is for scholarships.
3. According to the instructions in your online application, upload your LExS motivation letter. You must submit a PDF document with a maximum of 500 words explaining why you should be given the award.
4. Before the LExS application deadline, submit your online application, which includes your LExS application.
5. Upload an LExS motivation letter for each study program for which you wish to apply for an LExS if you apply for more than one study program.
Applicants must have a non-EEA/non-EFTA* passport and may not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering) – with the exceptions of students applying for the programs listed below, for which no nationality restrictions apply:
- All LLM Advanced Studies programs
- MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy
The faculty selection committees will nominate LExS recipients and inform the Scholarships Team, up to 6 weeks after the LExS deadline.
The Scholarships Team will notify all LExS applicants of the following decisions:
- At the end of November – for the February intake.
- At the end of April – for the September intake.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2024.
- OPM Scholarship
- Fully Funded DAAD Scholarship
- UNICAF Scholarship And Eligibility
- Successful Motivation Letter for Scholarship
- Burger King Scholarship Programme Application Details
Check out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.