Requirements to study in Canada for international students; Having dreams of studying in Canada!? One of the best places to be when it comes to education? We got you covered. When you have the necessary documents, studying in Canada is not difficult. But what are the requirements to study in Canada? You might ask. Keep reading to find out.
Students from across the world flock to Canadian universities to pursue various courses. Strong infrastructure, cutting-edge curriculum, and sprawling campuses are all the hallmarks of every Canadian institution. One way to improve your chances is to get a Canada study permit.
It will increase your chances of getting a Canadian Permanent Residence. Here are reasons to encourage you to continue pursuing your dreams of studying in Canada
Why Study in Canada?
Canada is one of the best places for higher studies and the country attracts thousands of students each year from all over the world. Canadian universities provide world-class education which is recognized globally and research is considered one of the key components of any graduate course.
The universities support students who come out with the best research ideas and scholarships are provided according to the research work.
The number of international students in Canada continues to grow every year. Many of them can stay in Canada after finishing their studies.
The diversity of international students is a priority for the Canadian government. The majority of those students came from France, Nigeria, China, Japan, South Korea, the United States, Brazil, Iran, India, and Vietnam.
That might have interested you. The question is, what are the requirements to study in Canada? Let’s show you
- Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada for International Students
- Masters Degree in Canada For International Students 2023/2024
- Top 10 Application Fee University in Canada
- International Travel Scholarships and Grants for Students
- Holland Scholarships for International Students Application Details
Requirements to Study in Canada
Studying in Canada requires a step-by-step process. You can’t start from anywhere. You must start at the beginning to ensure smooth success. Here is what you need to do.
1 Choose a program:
the choice of your program is one of the most vital requirements to study in Canada. Equally important, is that the choice of your program will be needed when applying for a study permit.
You must present a strong case for studying in Canada in this particular program. This will give you the best possible chance of submitting a successful application.
2. Apply to the School:
After deciding on a program, you will choose your preferred school. This is the main reason you are going to Canada in the first place. Visit their website because requirements to study in Canada vary from one university to the other
You need to have a letter of acceptance. Your program choice is one of the most important factors in your study permit application. You must present a strong case for studying in Canada in this particular program.
You must make program recommendations based on your work experience and educational history. This will give you the best possible chance of submitting a successful application.
3. Apply for a Study Permit:
We will discuss this more. You must have been accepted by your institution before you apply for a Canadian study permit. It is one of the most important requirements to study in Canada.
What is a Canadian study permit?
A Canadian study permit is a document that allows you to study at a school in Canada.Once you have been accepted to study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), you can apply for a Canadian study permit.
Student’s Study Permit Requirements
As stated earlier, a study permit is one of the most important requirements you need if you want to study in Canada. It gives you a great assurance that you are already in Canada. Generally, you must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. Some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada.
Here are the necessary documents;
- a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) you’ll be attending
- Valid Passport
- Academic references – 2
- Employer references – 2
- SOP (Statement of Purpose)
- Certificates of extracurricular achievements
- An acceptance letter from your educational institution
- Proof of payment
- Proof of financial funds(Proof that you have money to support yourself and any family members coming with you. You must show that you can cover your tuition fees as well as your cost of living (accommodation, food, etc.) for your first year in Canada.
- have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.
- Study Permit and visa
- English Proficiency
- Birth certificate, and marriage certificate
- Your University will make you aware of additional requirements if any prior to your application.
How to Apply for a Canadian Study Permit
There are four stages to obtaining a Canadian study permit
1. Check your eligibility: Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for a Canadian study permit. Check the above for a comprehensive list. However, identification documents vary depending on your country of citizenship and residence)
2. Prepare your application: If you meet all eligibility requirements then you can start to prepare your study permit application. Make sure that you have gathered all the documents required for your country.
If you don’t show that you meet the requirements, an immigration officer may reject your application. It is a good idea to have a qualified immigration representative review your application before you submit it.
3. Submit your study permit application: You have two options when submitting your application:
First, If you’re applying for a study permit, you can apply online, whether you’re outside of Canada or already in Canada.
Second, you can apply on-site. That is, submit a paper-based application. In addition, Gather hard copies of your documents and mail them to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) assigned to your country.
You’re only eligible to apply on paper if you have a disability that prevents you from applying online. On the other hand, if you hold an identity or travel document for non-national residents, refugees, or stateless persons.
4 If your study permit is approved, then congratulations. In fact, welcome to Canada! You do not receive your Canadian study permit until you arrive at a Canadian Port of Entry (POE).
If your permit is approved, the Canadian government will issue you a Port of Entry Introduction Letter. You must show this letter to the immigration official when you arrive in Canada to get your study permit.
Some top Canadian Universities
Here is a list of some top Canadian universities you can apply
- University of Toronto
- 2McGill University
- University of British Columbia
- Université de Montréal
- University of Alberta
- McMaster University
- 7University of Waterloo
- 8Western University
- University of Ottawa
- University of Calgary
- Queen’s University at Kingston
- Dalhousie University
- Simon Fraser University
- University of Victoria (UVic)
- Université Laval
- University of Saskatchewan
- York University
- Concordia University
- University of Guelph
- Université du Québec
- Carleton University
- University of Manitoba
- University of New Brunswick
- University of Windsor
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Université de Sherbrooke
- Ryerson University
- Canadian Scholarships for Nigerian Students 2023/2024
- What GPA is Required for Scholarships in USA?
- American University Leader Scholarship| Emerging Global Leaders
- Coolidge Scholarship for America: Application Guidelines
- American Dream Scholarship Award Application Details
FAQs about Studying in Canada
1. What is the cost of studying in Canada for international students?
Tuition fees in Canadian universities vary by institution and province, but the cost is generally more affordable when compared to other countries around the world. Technical and medical courses are more expensive than art courses.
On average, the tuition and fees range from CAD 7,000 to CAD 35,000 per year for an international student.The cost of studying in Canada will include other factors such as the cost of living and the Canada visa application fees which you will have to bear.
2. Do I need to take the IELTS test to study in Canada
To study at a Canadian school you will need to be proficient in English or French. Hence the need for the test. However, Canadian universities set their conditions for the language skills of international students. Language skill requirements vary from one school to the next.
In this situation, While preparing your application, you should research the specific requirements for your program. Some schools even allow you to complete English courses after you begin your studies.
Some international students do not need to provide proof of their language skills. If you are from an English-speaking country or have studied in English, then you may not have to take the IELTS.
3. What are the requirements to study in Quebec?
Studying in Quebec gives you the option to study in English, French, or both. However, Quebec student visa requirements are a little different from the rest of Canada.
Therefore, If you plan to study in Quebec, you must provide a valid Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) or your letter of approval for your CAQ.
In other words, To study in Quebec, you will need a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ). This document is issued by the Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration (MIFI).
It confirms that Quebec has accepted you as an international student. You need a CAQ before you can apply for a study permit if your program of study is in Québec.
Check out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information