Have you ever heard of Nigeria Maritime University? One of Nigeria’s biggest and most diverse universities is Maritime University. For you to be part of this university as an undergraduate, you have to know so much about this school. We are here to help you, it is about to get started.
In Okerenkoko, Gbaramatu, Delta State, Nigeria, there is a paramilitary university and maritime institution called Nigeria Maritime University.
The Federal Government of Nigeria founded and owns the Nigerian Maritime University (NMU), which has its takeoff campus in the Kurutie Warri South-West Local Government Area of Delta State and is situated at Okerenkoko.
NMU has received official accreditation from and/or recognition from Nigeria’s National Universities Commission (NUC).
What to Know About Nigerian Maritime University
A non-profit public higher education institution, Nigerian Maritime University, Okerenkoko was established in 2012 and is situated in Okerenkoko, Gbaramatu Kingdom Delta state.
Nigerian Maritime University, Okerenkoko (NMU) is a coeducational higher education institution in Nigeria that has received official recognition from the National Universities Commission of Nigeria.
Nigerian Maritime University, Okerenkoko (NMU) offers courses and programs leading to bachelor’s degrees in a number of fields of study, among other officially recognized higher education degrees.
- MAURID Polytechnic And Admission Requirements
- Osun State Universities And their School Fees
- 20 Top Colleges of Education in Nigeria
- Federal, State, And Private Universities In Lagos State
The university has its first Chief Cadet Captain in its regimentation unit (Emperor D.O. Alagoa). The first military college and maritime institution in Nigeria and West Africa is Nigeria Maritime University.
The start of the degree program at the university received approval from the NUC (Nigerian University Commission).
To enable the University, to commence academic activities in the 2024 academic session a well-developed temporary site located in Kurutie town has been acquired for the University.
In 2021, there was a rumor that the institution was shut down for non-payment of salary and poor welfare.
The report was however dismissed by the registrar of the institution, Dr Alfred Mulade.
The registrar described the information as fake news and reaffirmed that the school is open to academic activities.
Nigeria Maritime University Official Websites
The vision of the Nigeria Maritime University is to be the maritime institution of the first choice for all those who seek to make a career in the industry and to contribute to the creation of employment and wealth in the global maritime economy.
The University shall expand the frontiers of knowledge and opportunities for Nigeria to be a leading player in the world’s maritime industry and economy; produce first-rate mariners and professionals imbued with patriotism, discipline, and courage to manage Nigeria’s maritime industry, and keep the country’s flag aloft across the oceans and waterways of the world.
The mission of the Nigeria Maritime University is to provide excellent facilities and faculties for training, research, and production of maritime human resources and equipment where staff and students can achieve their professional goals and support Nigeria to exploit her maritime endowments to become a leading player in the world’s knowledge-driven economy.
The philosophy of the Nigeria Maritime University is informed by the quest of Nigeria to become one of the foremost nations in the world in the training of professionals and investors in the maritime economy.
The philosophy also derives from the abundance of maritime resources and opportunities in the country waiting to be developed and transformed through training and research.
Beneficiaries of the University’s programs are expected to be competitive in the global marketplace and to serve as the corps of skilled, technical personnel, inventors, and investors who shall support Nigeria’s vision to become a key player in the world’s maritime industry and economy.
The Nigeria Maritime University has outlined its objectives aimed at meeting its vision and mission. The objectives of the Nigeria Maritime University are:
1. To encourage the advancement of knowledge in the maritime sector and to hold out to all persons without distinction of race, creed, sex, or political conviction the opportunity of acquiring higher education in maritime technology and allied fields.
2. To provide courses of instruction and training leading to the award of degrees, diplomas, and certificates in fields of maritime training /industry.
3. To encourage scholarship and conduct research in all fields related to the maritime industry.
4. To develop infrastructure and facilities for the design and production of maritime vessels and equipment.
5. To relate the activities of the University to the social and economic needs of Nigeria.
6. To undertake any other activities appropriate for a maritime institution.
- World Bank Scholarship
- NLNG Scholarships for Undergraduates
- UNIZIK Cut-off Mark Academic Session
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships (QECS)
List of Faculties and Programmes at Maritime University
The University took off with three Faculties, thirteen Programmes/ Departments, and a school of Basic studies. The faculties and programs are:
1. Faculty of Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum & Gas Engineering
2. Faculty of Marine Transport
- Marine Economics and Finance
- Nautical Science
- Ports Management
- Transport & Logistics
3. Faculty of Environmental Management
- Marine Geology
- Environmental Management & Pollution Control
- Fisheries & Aquaculture
- Meteorology & Climate Change.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some frequently asked questions for you:
1. Is Nigeria Maritime University a military university?
NMU is a military university and maritime college in Okerenkoko, Gbaramatu, Warri south Delta State, Nigeria.
The NMU has a regimental unit, composed of a Regimental Director, a Chief Cadet Captain, etc. with Alagoa Dandeson O. Emperor as its First Chief Cadet Captain.
2. What are the Courses Offered at NMU?
List of Degree Courses Offered in NMU
- Fisheries and Aquaculture.
- Environmental Management and Pollution Control.
- Civil Engineering.
- Petroleum and Gas Engineering.
- Electrical Engineering.
- Nautical Science.
- Marine Engineering.
- Marine Economics and Finance.
3. How can I get Admission into NMU?
The application form for the NMU admission can be downloaded online at www.nmu.edu.ng. First login to the official portal when the portal opens click on the online undergraduate Admission Application form.
4. How Much is Nigeria Maritime University School Fees?
NMU School Fees Schedule: Fresher are to pay ₦229,000, and ₦224,000 for the faculty of Engineering and Environmental Management and the faculty of Transport/Logistics Management respectively.
5. What is the cut-off Mark for NMU?
The JAMB cutoff mark set for entry into any program at the NMU, Okerenkoko is 160 and above on a scale of 400.
Check out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.