Mpower women in stem scholarship to enable high-potential individuals from around the world to pursue their educational goals and emerge as tomorrow’s top researchers and inventors. Continue reading to learn more about this scholarship.
This scholarship initiative targets female students who have the ability to be role models and champions for women in STEM and who will use their STEM degrees to improve society and the environment.
MPOWER Women in STEM Scholarship
Scholarships are given each year to female international/DACA students who are accepted or enrolled full-time in a STEM degree program at a program MPOWER funds in the US or Canada.
- Grand Prize: $6,000
- Runner-Up: $2,000
- Honorable Mention: $1,000
1. Be accepted at, or enrolled in, a full-time degree program at a U.S. or Canadian school that MPOWER supports, and
2. Be an international student allowed to legally study in the U.S. or Canada, as applicable:
3. For study in the U.S., this means that the applicant meets one of these criteria:
- Has a valid visa that permits study in the U.S.
- Is protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
- Is a U.S. permanent resident (Green Card holder)
4. For study in Canada, this means the applicant meets one of these criteria:
- Is a Canadian permanent resident
- Has a valid Canadian study permit
At 11:59 p.m. EDT on July 15, 2023, the Scholarship expires. The Scholarship Period’s submissions and receipts constitute the only qualifying submissions.
MPOWER is the sole official timekeeper and adjudicator of each Scholarship’s eligibility. Three (3) scholarship winners will be chosen for the entire scholarship period.
The top prize is a $3,000 MPOWER Scholarship that can be used for the winner’s school’s tuition, fees, or other costs (each a “Prize”).
Two more winners will each receive a scholarship worth $1,000 and $500. Students may enter the Scholarship just once (the “Entrants”).
This scholarship is created specifically for international and DACA students.
Therefore, U.S. citizens wishing to study in the U.S. and Canadian citizens wishing to study in Canada are not eligible for this scholarship.
Application deadline: January 15, 2023
- ThinkSwiss Research Scholarship Programme Details
- HAW Masters Scholarship Application Requirements
- RETTI Scholarship Scheme Program Application Details
- knight Hennessy Scholarship Application Requirements
Entrants will be evaluated and selected based on
- The quality of the applicant’s written essays; the essays should demonstrate clarity of thought, compelling goals and vision, and superior writing skills in English;
- The applicant’s record of academic and (if applicable) professional distinction;
- The applicant’s potential to make significant contributions in a STEM field that will benefit people and/or the planet; and
- The applicant’s track record and/or potential as a role model and advocate for women and girls in STEM.
Applications will be initially reviewed for eligibility by MPOWER staff and/or contractors. The first round of review will then be finished by MPOWER employees or vendors.
Basic English spelling, grammar, and writing skills will be checked on all qualified applications in this round. Applications containing essays that are either too brief or poorly written will be disqualified.
The remaining applications will be evaluated against each of the 4 selection criteria in the second round on a scale of 1 to 5. (equal weights applied).
A panel of judges, which may include MPOWER personnel or members of the MPOWER social impact advisory board, will further review the 10 applications with the highest overall score. Any of these ten finalists may be chosen by the panel for phone or Skype interviews.
More Details on the Selection Process
The CEO, who will choose the winner based on the aforementioned selection criteria, will get the panel’s recommended winner.
After that, MPOWER will contact the winner and ask for copies of her passport, visa, and acceptance letter from a partner university to confirm her enrollment and eligibility (gender and STEM field).
The contact information provided on each winner’s Entry will be used to contact them by phone, email, and/or normal mail to announce the winners.
MPOWER disclaims all responsibility for any winning notifications that are misplaced, tampered with, or otherwise not received by the potential winner.
The Prize for that Scholarship will be awarded to an alternative winner chosen by the Judges based on the outcomes of the aforementioned judging criteria if any potential winner does not respond within the time frame required by MPOWER, or if any winner notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to a potential winner, or fails to timely return the Release to MPOWER.
MPOWER will pay the Prize on the winner’s behalf, directly to the winner’s school of enrolment after confirming the winner’s eligibility and receiving the completed Release from the winner.
In the event that the winner’s school declines, forfeits, improperly applies for, or otherwise fails to credit any Prize (or portion thereof) for the winner’s benefit, MPOWER shall have no liability to the winner.
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.