Do you know about the JAMB Subject Combination for Sociology? There are several requirements associated with the JAMB Subject Combination for Sociology. However, it’s critical that you understand every information necessary for each college in order to apply smoothly and maximize your chances of admission to any Nigerian university. Read further to know the JAMB Subject Combination for Sociology.
What is Sociology?
Auguste Comte, a French philosopher, coined the term Sociology in 1839, combining two Latin words: ‘societies,’ which means society, and ‘logos,’ which means study. Sociology is the study of society in its broadest sense.
Sociology is the study of social life, social change, and the social causes and consequences of human conduct.
Sociologists study the structure of groups, organizations, and communities, as well as how individuals interact with them.
Because all human activity is social, sociology covers everything from the close family to the hostile mob; from organized crime to religious cults; from racial, gender, and social class differences to shared cultural views; and from work sociology to sports sociology.
JAMB Subject Combination For Sociology 2023/2024
Approved Correct UTME Subjects Required To study Sociology Are:
- Use Of English
- Any Other Social Science Subject.
Requirements to Study Sociology in Nigeria
- To begin, you must have at least 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC or NECO) including English and Mathematics in no more than two (2) sittings to study Sociology in Nigeria. Some schools, however, just required one sitting.
- By the 31st of October of the entrance year, you must have reached the age of sixteen (16).
- Meet the Sociology cut-off at your school.
- Have excellent JAMB, WAEC, and Post-UTME results.
Direct Entry Requirements To Study Sociology In Nigeria
- In a maximum of two (2) sittings, a minimum of 5 credits in the Ordinary Level Credits of the Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE/GCE).
- Degree in allied disciplines (First Class/Second Class Upper).
- Candidates for direct entrance must obtain a Direct Entry form from the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
- A Merit Pass in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND), and other Advanced Level Certificates are required.
- Other qualifications equal to (1) and (4) above that are acceptable to the Senate of your preferred university. Candidates must additionally meet any Faculty/Departmental entry criteria in addition to the aforesaid minimum admission requirements.
- Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB) Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) (JUPEB)
Universities in Nigeria Offering Sociology
SOCIOLOGY is either offered as a single major in the Faculty/School/College of Arts, leading to the degree of a Bachelor of Arts, or as a double major in Sociology and Anthropology at Nigerian universities.
Below are Universities offering it as a double course:
- Covenant University
- Evangel University, Ebonyi
- Federal University-Kashere
- Federal University-Ndufu
- Federal University-Otuoke
- Plateau State University, Bokkos
- Salem University, Lokoja
Sociology is also offered through the Faculty/School/College of Social and Management Studies, which leads to a Bachelor of Science degree.
The following universities offer B.Sc. (Hons) degrees:
- Abia State University Uturu (Absu)
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba (Aaua)
- Ado Bayero University, Kano
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (Abuad)
- Ahmadu Bello University, Kaduna (Abu)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma (Aaua)
- Bauchi State University (Basu)
- Benue State University, Makurdi(Bsu)
- Bingham University, Nasarawa
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chukuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli (Coouu)
- Covenant University, Ota
- Crawford University, Igbesa
- Delta State University, Abraka
- Eastern Palm University, Orlu(Epu)
- Edo State University, Iyamho
- Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti
- Federal University-Dutsinma
- Federal University-Gashua
- Federal University-Gusau
- Federal University-Kebbi
- Federal University-Lafia
- Federal University-Oye Ekiti
- Federal University-Wukari
- Fountain University, Osogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Urgwuomu-Nike
- Gombe State University
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Hezekiah University, Umudi, Imo
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Imo State University
- Joseph Ayodele Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji(Jabu)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna
- Kogi State University, Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin
- Kwararafa University Wukari
- Lagos State University
- Landmark University, Omu Aran
- Leadcity University, Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija
- Madonna University, Okija
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi.
- Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil, Kano
- Nnamdiazikiwe University, Awka
- Novena University, Ogume
- Obong University, Abak
- Olabisionabanjo University
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- Paul University, Awka
- Redeemers University, Ede
- Rhema University, Aba
- Ritman University, Ikot-Ekpene
- Sokoto State University, Sokoto
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- Umaru Musa Yar’dua University, Katsina (Umuky)
- University Of Abuja
- University Of Calabar, Calabar
- University Of Ibadan
- University Of Ilorin (Ilorin)
- University Of Jos
- University Of Lagos(Lagos)
- University Of Mkar, Gboko
- University of Port Harcourt
- Usman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto
- Western-Delta University, Oghara
- Yobe State University
Special /Waiver Considerations
Below are lists of special/waiver considerations:
- ABSU and UNICAL: Accept O’level Mathematics passes. In the meanwhile, the University of Ibadan accepts 5 ‘O’ level credits from any Sciences, Arts, or Social/Sciences topic
- ABUAD: They accept ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, Use of English language, Government and any other 2 Social Science subjects.
- Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba: They accept ‘O’ level credit passes in Use of English Language, Government/History, Mathematics, and any other 2 Arts or Social/ Science subjects.
- Ahmadu Bello University requires 5 O’level credit passes in Economics, Geography, English Language, Government/History, Christian Religious Studies/Islamic Studies, and Mathematics.
- Bauchi State University: They require candidates to possess 5 ‘O’ level credit passes from any Social Science or Arts subject.
- DELSU and BOWEN UNIVERSITY: They require candidates to have 5 ‘O’ level credit passes to include Mathematics, use of English Language, and any 2 Social Science subjects in addition to any other subject.
- DELSU, UNIBEN, and Ambrose Ali University: They require an ‘O’ level credit pass in Mathematics.
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-LAFIA: They require candidates to have ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, Use of English Language, Government, and any 2 of Commerce, Economics, History, Christian Religious Studies, or Islamic Studies.
- JABU: They require candidates to have at least ‘An O’ level pass in Mathematics.
- PLATEAU STATE UNIVERSITY: They require ‘o’ level credit passes in English Language and any 3 Social sciences or Arts subjects in addition to at least an ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics.
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.