How to use a security key with your iPhone, this article is for those who want extra security from targeted attacks on their account, such as phishing and social engineering scams, Security Keys for Apple ID is an optional security feature designed for people such as celebrities, journalists, and government officials.
An Apple ID security key is a tiny piece of third-party hardware that you may attach to your iPhone and use to prove your identity while logging in.
The physical key takes the place of the six-digit verification numbers often used in two-factor authentication, protecting against the possibility of an attacker intercepting or requesting this information.
How to Use a Security Key with your iPhone
You must set up at least two security keys so that you can use one of them as a backup in case the other one is misplaced, broken, or stolen. Up to six keys may be paired with your account.
- Go to Settings > [your name] > Password & Security
- When selecting Add Security Keys, follow the on-screen instructions.
Sign in to a Device, Website, or App Using a Security Key
- When prompted, insert your security key (if it’s an NFC key, hold or place it near the top of your iPhone).
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- How to Pair Alexa With iPhone
- How to Add Words to iPhone Dictionary
- How to Retrieve Deleted Voicemail on iPhone
- How to Combine Videos on iPhone Using Different Apps
Use a Security Key to Reset your Apple ID Password
A security key that is linked to your account can be used to reset your Apple ID password if you forget it.
- Go to Password & Security under Settings > [your name]. Use your linked security key to sign in first if you aren’t already logged into your Apple ID account on your iPhone.
- After selecting Change Password, follow the on-screen instructions.
Use a Security Key to Unlock your Apple ID
Your iPhone will notify you that your Apple ID has been locked if you attempt to sign in to your account unsuccessfully six times in a row or if it notices other indications of suspicious activity.
To unlock it, use your security key:
- To unlock your Apple ID, tap Unlock Account and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Tap Change Password and type in a new password if you believe your account may have been locked because someone else knows your password.
- Tap Done.
How to Remove Security Keys
You can pair up to six security keys with your Apple ID. If you reach the limit and need to pair additional keys, you can remove one or more of your paired keys. You can replace keys you’ve removed at any time.
- Go to Settings > [your name] > Password & Security.
- Tap Security Keys.
- To remove all keys, tap Remove All Keys, then tap Remove.
- To remove individual keys, tap the ones you want to remove, then tap Remove Key.
Note: If you remove all security keys from a device, the device reverts to using six-digit verification codes for two-factor authentication.
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.