Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program: Scholarships are essentially free aid to students; instead of worrying about how they would pay back their student loans, students may concentrate on their studies. So don’t be left out on this scholarship. Keep reading to get more information.
Additionally, they enable students to pursue fields like MBAs that need postgraduate education.
Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program
The Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program was created in 1979 by Harvard University President Derek Bok to meet the needs of South Africans who were denied admission to higher education due to the apartheid system.
This initiative was developed in direct response to the strong campaigning by Harvard teachers and students during the divestment movements of the 1970s.
Talented South Africans continue to benefit from the Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program’s intellectual support, which aims to give them a “transformational experience” at Harvard University during the fellowship year.
About the Fellowship Program
The program was created and is currently aimed at helping professionals in the middle of their careers who have been educationally disadvantaged by previous laws and resource allocations in South Africa.
In an ongoing attempt to attract the widest pool of potential applicants for the program, HSAFP is currently looking to broaden its reach to institutions and organizations around South Africa.
To all eligible South Africans, the program is open. Mid-career applicants from historically underrepresented or marginalized groups, especially those from rural locations outside of urban centers, will be given preference.
Also, the University has broadened its candidate pool to include all South Africans, regardless of nationality or color, in accordance with the current South African constitution.
The best candidates are those who want to act as role models for ethical leadership, information exchange, and improvement and transformation of their communities as well as South Africa.
Those who are just interested in the program to enhance their own career objectives by obtaining an advanced degree or professional certification are not the best fit.
After finishing their fellowships, program graduates are expected to stay active and act as advocates for the fellowship.
- Global Korea Scholarship for Graduates and Undergraduates
- Haileybury Scholarships Programme Application Details
- USQ Scholarships Programme Application Details
- UON Scholarships Programme for International Students
Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
1. Open to all South Africans who qualify. Applicants must be a citizen or permanent residents of South Africa.
2. Intended for mid-career professionals educationally disadvantaged by past laws and resource allocations in South Africa.
3. Priority will be extended to mid-career applicants from historically marginalized or underrepresented groups, including applicants from rural areas outside urban centers.
4. Ideal candidates are those who seek to model ethical leadership, and knowledge sharing, and serve as a resource to improve and transform their communities and South Africa.
5. Applicants whose interest in the program is only in seeking an advanced degree or professional certification to advance their own career interests are not ideal candidates.
6. Alumni of the program are expected to remain involved after the completion of their fellowship and serve as ambassadors for the fellowship.
Scholarship Application Timetable
HSAFP Application (2024-20245 Cohort) Timeline:
February 15, 2024: HSAFP application opens
April 15, 2024: HSAFP applications DUE (at 11:59 pm EST)
May–June 2024: Applications reviewed
June 30, 2024: Applicants notified if they have been selected for an interview
July – August 2024: Shortlisted candidates scheduled for interviews
August 31, 2024: Interviewed candidates notified if they have been selected as a Harvard South Africa Fellow finalist
September – December 2024: Selected finalists apply directly to the Harvard program they are interested in attending
January 2024 – April 2025: Candidates typically hear about their admissions decision from the Harvard School to which they applied
Beginning July August 2024: Most Harvard South Africa Fellows’ academic programs at Harvard begin
May 2025: Fellows at Harvard for one-year programs complete their academic year at the University
Check here for more information on the application process
How to Apply
1. Click here to access the application
2. Applicants should select ‘Apply’.
3. On the Login screen, select ‘without Harvard Key’.
4. If you are logging in for the first time, select ‘Create New Account’. After you create your account, return to the link above to access the application.
5. You can return to the link above to access your application using the login and password you create.
Check out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.