Graduate School Scholarships: Fellowships at the University of Alabama’s graduate school last for one academic year, unless otherwise noted below (fall and spring). Each scholarship comes with a stipend of $20,000 for the academic year, single coverage health insurance, and a full tuition grant (for up to 15 graduate hours each fall and spring semester). Keep reading for more information!
It is important that you speak with the Graduate Program Director for your program because prospective and existing University of Alabama students are suggested by their departments for the fellowships.
Graduate School Scholarships
Candidates who are prospective students must have received an admissions offer prior to nomination.
Graduate Council Fellowships
Every year, the University of Alabama grants close to 100 Graduate Council Fellowships. Graduate Council Fellowships are available in the following categories:
1. A stipend of $20,000 for new and continuing UA students for the academic year (fall and spring semesters)
2. For our best candidates, a select number of David A. Franco Fellowships are available. The honorarium for this extremely competitive fellowship is $25,000 each year for a maximum of five years. Only candidates who applied by the deadline of January 13 will be considered for this fellowship.
3. Each year, fifteen Capstone Fellowships are given out (distributed between Graduate Council Fellowship nominees and McNair Graduate Fellowship nominees). For doctoral students, capstone fellowships offer five years of assistance (fellowship in years 1, 3, and 5 and assistantship in years 2 and 4), or two years of support for master’s students.
4. For new UA students, the prospective department may increase the stipend by up to $2000, and the Graduate School may match that amount (for a maximum stipend of $24,000).
- The prospective department agrees to offer a departmental assistantship in year two and to continue the supplement in years two, three, and four for doctoral students who receive it.
McNair Graduate Fellowships
The fellowship for doctorate students lasts for two years, and thereafter they receive funding through a departmental assistantship or something comparable for at least another two years.
For master’s program students, the fellowship lasts for one year and is followed by at least another year of financial assistance in the form of a departmental assistantship or similar.
Each year, fifteen Capstone Fellowships are given out (distributed between Graduate Council Fellowship nominees and McNair Graduate Fellowship nominees).
For doctoral students, capstone fellowships offer five years of assistance (fellowship in years 1, 3, and 5 and assistantship in years 2 and 4), or two years of support for master’s students.
NAA License Tag Graduate Fellowship
Every year, the University of Alabama grants about 23 National Alumni Association Fellowships. For the purpose of tuition, nominees must be categorized as residents. The National Alumni Association Fellowship comes with a $20,000 stipend for the school year (fall and spring semesters).
McNair Tuition Scholarships
Students who have finished the McNair Undergraduate Scholars program at a US university are eligible for McNair tuition subsidies.
If former McNair Undergraduate Scholars are unable to get alternative support at The University of Alabama (such as assistantships or fellowships), they are eligible for a tuition grant (for up to 15 hours each semester).
Please get in touch with Andrew Goodliffe at [email protected] if you have any questions or would like additional information about these fellowships.
- International Merit Scholarship Programme for Undergraduates
- University of California Masters Scholarship Programme
- Monash University Humanitarian Scholarships Programme
- University of Adelaide PhD Scholarship Application Details
- December 8, 2022: Students continuing in their current graduate program (please speak to your Graduate Program Director for complete eligibility requirements).
- January 12, 2023: Students starting a new program in the summer or fall of 2024
- February 9, 2023: Students starting a new program in the summer or fall of 2024
- March 9, 2023: Students starting a new program in the summer or fall of 2024
Alumni Heritage Graduate Scholarship (AHGS)
- To recruit children and grandchildren of graduates of The University of Alabama.
- To send a clear signal to our graduates that “we want your children.”
- To provide a tangible Alumni Association membership benefit for UA graduates.
Guidelines and Requirements for this Program
1. First-year graduate students who are Alabama residents and the children or grandchildren of University of Alabama graduates are eligible for a one-time-only (non-renewable) award. The student’s first term of graduate enrolment is covered by the scholarship.
2. An undergraduate, graduate, or law degree from The University of Alabama is required of either the parent or the grandparent.
3. The qualified parent or grandparent must have participated actively in NAA for three of the previous five years. The payment for all three years cannot be made in one year by a parent or grandparent.
4. The scholarship will be worth $500 toward graduate-level courses’ in-state tuition. (Subject to the lower of actual in-state tuition not covered by other awards or the maximum amount permitted by law.)
5. The student may enroll full- or part-time in a UA graduate degree program after being accepted. Please take note that, until their bachelor’s degree is granted, students admitted to the Graduate School through special programs like the University Scholars Program or any Honor Program will be treated as undergraduates for the purposes of this scholarship.
The deadlines for application are:
- July 15 – for students entering Fall Semester
- November 30 – for students entering Spring Semester
- May 1 – for students entering Summer Semester
Submit AHGS Application: APPLY HERE
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.