Generation Google Scholarship was created to assist aspirant students pursuing computer science degrees in becoming leaders in their sector and excelling in technology. Read on for more information.
For the 2022–2023 academic years, chosen students will earn $5,000 CAD or $10,000 USD (depending on where they are studying).
The strength of each applicant’s dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as their demonstrated leadership skills and academic achievement, will determine which candidates get the Generation Google Scholarship.
They strongly encourage students who identify with groups historically underrepresented in the technology industry, such as women, Black and African Americans, Hispanic and Latinx people, American Indians, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders, to apply. The program is open to students who meet the minimum requirements.
About Generation Google Scholarship
For the academic year 2021–2022, applicants are not required to be enrolled in an Associate, Bachelor, Master’s, or Ph.D. degree at the time of application.
Those who won one of the aforementioned Google Scholarships: The Women Techmakers Scholarship for Computer Science and the Women Techmakers Scholarship for Gaming are not eligible for reapplication.
Neither are the Generation Google Scholarship, Generation Google Scholarship: for Women in Gaming, Generation Google Scholarship: for Supply Chain and Fulfillment, Google Lime Scholarship, Google Student Veterans of America Scholarship, or the Women Techmakers Scholarship for Computer Science.
Who is Eligible to Apply
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
1. Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelor, Master, or Ph.D. program at an accredited university or college in the United States or Canada for the 2022-2023 academic year
2. Be studying computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field
3. Demonstrate a strong academic record
4. Demonstrate financial need
5. Exemplify leadership and demonstrate a passion for improving the representation of underrepresented groups in computer science and technology
Scholarship Application process
You will be asked to complete an online application which includes:
1. General background information (e.g. contact information and details about your current and intended universities)
2. Family and household information
4. Academic transcripts from your current (if you are currently enrolled) and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree)
5. Responses to three short answer essay questions
6. Recipients will be selected based on the overall strength of their essays and application materials compared to the entire applicant pool or respective academic peers (e.g. high school students compared to other high school students).
- Scholarships for First-Generation Students
- Transfer Scholarships Programme Application Details
- PTK Scholarships Opportunities for College Students
- Fully Funded Ph.D. Programs for International Students
Scholarship Essay Questions:
The three short answer essay questions below are intended to assess your demonstrated leadership, commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and financial need. Each response to the three questions below should be 500 words or less.
Please give us one example of how you have exhibited leadership. Explain what you were trying to achieve, your role, how you influenced others, and the impact as a result of your actions.
- Think broadly and examine the many ways you are having an effect on the members of the different communities you are a part of. Keep in mind, the example you choose does not need to be a formal or traditional leadership role.
What is a significant challenge that impacts historically excluded groups in the field of technology and what do you believe is the root cause of this challenge? What actions have you taken to address this challenge?
- Keep in mind that impact can happen in many ways and at different scales. Please focus at least half of your response on the actions you have taken.
Describe any financial circumstances affecting your need for a scholarship. In your answer be sure to describe any obstacles you have overcome to get to where you are today. What goals will this scholarship enable you to accomplish?
Please Note: Before starting the application, please have the following ready for upload:
1. A PDF copy of your resume (if applicable, please include leadership positions, extracurricular activities, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts on your resume)
2. A PDF copy of your current or most recent transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
3. A PDF copy of your three short answer responses
Application Deadline: Applications will be opened soon.
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.