Gates Millennium Scholarship (GMS) Program is an academic scholarship award and program for higher education, available to high-achieving ethnic minority students in the United States.
In addition to receiving a complete scholarship to attend any college or university in the United States, Gates Millennium Scholars also get chances for leadership development, mentoring, as well as academic, financial, and social support.
Outstanding minority high school graduates from low-income families are eligible for The Gates Prize (TGS), a highly selective, last-dollar scholarship.
The scholarship is given out annually to outstanding student leaders with the goal of assisting them in reaching their full potential.
In order to support outstanding African Americans, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation developed the Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program.
Students who identify as American Indian or Alaska Native (*), Asian Pacific Islander (**), or Hispanic have the option of finishing their undergraduate degrees in any field of study.
The following fields of study are eligible for financing from the Gates Millennium Scholarship program: computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health, and science.
Gates Millennium Scholarship Award
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the method utilized by a Scholar’s college or university will be used to establish the complete cost of attendance* that is not already covered by other financial aid and the anticipated family contribution.
Tuition, fees, housing and board, books, transportation, and other possible personal expenses are all included in the cost of attendance.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible, students must:
1. A senior in high school
2. At least one of the following racial or ethnic groups: African-American, Asian & Pacific Islander American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, and/or Hispanic American Pell-eligible
3. A national or permanent resident of the US
4. Being in good academic standing with a cumulative weighted GPA of at least 3.3 on a scale of 4.0 (or equivalent)
5. Additionally, a student must intend to enroll full-time in a four-year degree program at a private, public, or not-for-profit college or university in the US that has received US accreditation.
6. Proof of tribal enrollment is necessary for American Indians and Alaska Natives.
Eligibility for Ideal Candidate
1. An outstanding high school academic record (being in the top 10% of his or her graduating class) is a requirement for an ideal applicant.
2. Showed leadership potential (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
3. Exceptional abilities for personal achievement (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
- Application Deadline: Closed
- Scholarship Selection Period: Apr 2023
- Scholarship Award Date: July – Sept 2023
- Millennium Scholarship Postgraduates Application
- Nitro Scholarship Programme Application Details
- McDonald Hacer National Scholarship Application Details
- Truman Scholarship Programme Application Requirements
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I get the Gates scholarship?
You must have an outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class) Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities) Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
2. Is Gates Millennium Scholarship for International Students?
Both UG and PG students are eligible for Gates Millenium Scholarship. Gates Millenium Scholarship is applicable to universities in the US, UK, Canada, India, and other 236 countries. Students having financial constraints are eligible.
3. What GPA do you Need for Gates Scholarship?
A US citizen, national, or permanent resident. In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
4. Is the Gates Scholarship Hard to get?
Competition for the Gates scholarship is stiff. In order to be a strong applicant, you should strive for more than the minimum GPA (3.3).
5. How many people get the Gates Millennium Scholarship?
The scholarship program is highly competitive with only 1,000 students selected out of over 50,000 applicants. GMS scholars who choose to pursue graduate studies in the areas of education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health and science are eligible to receive continued funding.
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.