If you are a candidate seeking English Language NECO Questions and Answers for 2024, you have arrived at the right place as we will break them down for you. We will go further to show you how English NECO Questions are set and the best way to answer for full marks.
The National Examinations Council is an examination body in Nigeria that conducts the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination and the General Certificate in Education in June/July and December/January, respectively.
English Language NECO Questions and Answers
The NECO English Paper I – III consists of multiple choice questions, all of which should be answered within 1 hour for 40 marks.
Paper II will consist of five essay topics and a passage each to test candidates’ comprehension and summary skills.
Candidates will be expected to write an essay on one of the topics and answer all the questions on Comprehension and Summary passages which carries 100 marks.
Finally, paper IV will consist of sixty multiple-choice items on the Test of Orals for candidates in Nigeria and Liberia, and on Listening Comprehension for candidates in Ghana, Gambia, and Sierra Leone. All the questions will be answered in 45 minutes for 30 marks.
PAPER II: SECTION A (Continuous Writing)
You are to answer only one question from this section. All questions carry equal marks. Your answer should not be less than 450 words. You are advised to spend about 45 minutes on this section.
1. Since the inception of social media in Nigeria, there has been a rise in cyberbullying and the distribution of fake news. Write an article suitable for publication in a national newspaper on the need for the Government to regulate social media.
2. There have been many articles recently in the newspapers criticizing trafficking in children. Write an article for publication in one of your national dailies, condemning this practice.
3. A friend of yours confided in you that she intends to drop out of school to get. Write a letter to her giving, at least, three reasons why she should stay in school.
4. Your school has been performing poorly in public examinations for the past three years. Write a letter to your principal suggesting ways of making students more interested in academic work.
5. Write a story to illustrate the saying: I killed two birds with one stone.
Section B: Comprehension
The passage was interesting. The subject matter was within the experience and grasp of the candidates and the information required for answering content questions correctly was very clear in the passage.
Nevertheless, some of the candidates did not demonstrate a clear understanding of the passage. Such candidates simply resorted to copying portions of the passage as answers.
- Biology NECO Questions and Answers
- WAEC Insurance Questions and Answers
- WAEC Igbo Questions and Answers
- WAEC Food and Nutrition Questions and Answers
Section C (Summary)
Important Note to Candidates: Some candidates lift whole sentences without modification and present them as answers while writing the summary part of the exam. Candidates must learn to paraphrase and must be able to separate the main points from illustrations and examples in given sentences. Copying portions of the set passage verbatim without regard to what is asked is certainly not summary writing.
Also, some candidates used preambles that when taken with the points, did not make good sentences. Candidates who decide to use preambles must ensure that they do so correctly.
Candidates must understand what the passage says and what the questions demand if they must tackle the summary questions successfully.
In each of the following sentences, there is one underlined word and one gap. From the list of words lettered A to D, choose the one that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the underlined word and that will, at the same time, correctly fill the gap in the sentence.
1. Most African countries face poverty while few enjoy ………………
2. Last year our farmers cultivated more crops than they……………
From the words lettered A to D, choose the word that best completes each of the following sentences.
1. There would have been a riot in our school but for the timely ……….. of our staff.
2. The armed robbers …every room in the bank to look for money.
DISCLAIMER! These are not real English NECO Questions and Answers but likely repeated questions over the years to help candidates understand the nature of their examinations. Ensure to take note of every question provided on this page.
Check out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.