East African Leadership Program: In order to support the upcoming generation of African leaders, former US President Barack Obama established the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). As a young African, you don’t need to miss this great opportunity, so hop in let’s get started.
Statistics show that strong, results-oriented leaders are needed because nearly one in three Africans is under the age of 24, and 60% of the continent’s population is under 35.
- Who will empower and lead these young Africans?
- Who will shape the future of business and entrepreneurship, civic leadership, and public management?
In order to answer these questions, YALI promotes three models designed to identify and empower young leaders:
What are YALI Regional Leadership Centers?
Four Regional Leadership Centers exist (Ghana, Kenya, Senegal, and South Africa). To promote transformative learning and improve leadership abilities, these Centers act as regional centers across the continent.
The MasterCard Foundation works together with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) on the YALI Regional Leadership Centers project.
Public-private partnerships are used to administer each Regional Leadership Center.
YALI Regional Leadership Center in East Africa
The YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa serves 14 nations in East and Central Africa, which is based at Kenyatta University in Nairobi, Kenya: Burundi, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
Deloitte East Africa is in charge of the Center, which also has support from an increasing number of regional and international partners.
In a 4-week residential style, chosen participants will participate in leadership training in the three study areas of business and entrepreneurship, civic leadership, and public management with an emphasis on communication, innovation, and creative problem-solving.
The program’s emphasis is on interactive and experiential learning which fosters each participant’s ability to contribute both individually and in teams.
East Africa Center Residential and Online Learning
Online education has also been established by YALI RLC EA. The COVID-19 Pandemic has affected people’s lives all around the world, which has affected the schedule.
How the COVID-19 situation plays out will determine whether they can continue to run their residential cohorts.
The Center is running an online cohort, though, where they will have the chance to enroll more participants (more than 100 per cohort), meaning even more of their target demographics will have the opportunity to participate in the YALI RLC EA experience.
This is being done to make sure they are moving forward with their mission of empowering young people.
The mobile phone accessibility and user-friendliness of the web platform.
- James McCune Smith PhD Scholarships
- PA School Scholarships and Grants to Apply for
- Left-Handed Scholarship Programme for College Students
- International Travel Scholarships and Grants for Students
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Young East African leaders that fit the following requirements are eligible to apply for the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa, which is merit-based. All Applicants are:
1. Nationals and inhabitants of one of the following countries, and between the ages of 18 and 35 at the time the application is submitted. Central African Republic, Burundi.
- Tanzania, Uganda, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo,
2. Neither citizens nor lawful permanent residents of the United States.
3. Capable of reading, writing, hearing, and speaking English, and Are eligible to get any required visa for Kenya.
Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.