Brooke Owens Fellowship: Are you ready to embark on a journey that empowers women and gender minorities to excel in this dynamic industry? Join us and become part of a diverse community driving innovation and leadership in aerospace.
The Brooke Owens Fellowship is a groundbreaking program that empowers underrepresented individuals in the aerospace field.
It offers transformative opportunities for women and gender minorities, providing them with valuable experiences and connections in the industry.
- PM Young Achievers Scholarship
- Gujarat Digital Scholarship
- KC Mahindra Scholarship
- Samaj Kalyan Scholarship
- Prathibha Scholarship
What to Know About Brooke Owens Fellowship
The Brooke Owens Fellowship Program was established by three close friends of Brooke – Lori Garver, Cassie Kloberdanz Lee, and William Pomerantz. These individuals all hold high-ranking positions within the aerospace industry.
The program was developed with the input, support, guidance, and encouragement of numerous other aerospace leaders whose lives were positively impacted by their connection with Brooke.
Following Brooke’s passing in 2017, Cassie, Lori, and Will collaborated to create a new initiative that would carry forward her legacy. This initiative was envisioned to be distinctive and purpose-driven, aimed at addressing a challenging and high-stakes issue.
Driven by their passion and inspired by Brooke’s legacy, they went through a process of designing, implementing, and refining the program, which has since benefited two cohorts of Fellows.
Across the board, the Fellows have reported feeling more motivated and better prepared for successful careers in the aerospace industry as a result of their participation in this program.
Presently, the program is overseen by a five-member Executive Team consisting of Caroline Juang, Diana Trujillo, Emily Calandrelli, Kayla Watson, and William Pomerantz.
This team collectively manages various aspects, including promoting the program to potential applicants, organizing the selection committee, matching Fellows with Hosts, carefully selecting Mentors for each Fellow, and coordinating the annual Brooke Owens Summit. Each member of the executive board has a personal commitment to nurturing the future success of every Fellow in the program.
Brooke Owens Fellowship Eligibility Requirement
Below are the eligibility criteria you need to adhere to before applying, Read carefully to avoid mistakes:
1. You are considered an undergraduate student, and your enrollment status can vary, including being at various types of undergraduate institutions such as
- Community and Junior Colleges
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Liberal Arts Colleges
- Women’s Colleges
- Tribal Colleges
- Technical Institutes
- Professional Schools, or Public and Private Universities.
You may also be taking a gap year, working towards a second associate’s or Bachelor’s degree, or pursuing a dual degree. However, to meet the eligibility criteria, you need to have completed at least one full semester of your academic program.
2. Individuals of your gender are not well-represented in the aerospace field. If you identify as a cisgender woman, a transgender woman, non-binary, agender, bigender, two-spirit, demigender, genderfluid, genderqueer, or belong to another gender minority group, this program is tailored for you.
3. You should be available for full-time employment during the Summer of 2024. We understand that the definition of “Summer” varies depending on your school’s schedule, and we recognize that you may have other commitments, such as family, school, or other jobs. However, a fundamental aspect of this Fellowship is to provide a challenging and meaningful summer internship with a fair wage, so you should be prepared to embrace this opportunity.
4. You should also have an interest in pursuing a career in aerospace. You don’t need to have your entire career path meticulously planned out, and this commitment is not binding. Nonetheless, a career in the aerospace industry should be one of your aspirations for the future. Otherwise, by participating, you may be taking away an opportunity from someone else who genuinely needs this chance to pursue their dream career.
The Brooke Owens Fellow Experience for Selection
Brooke Owens Fellows are chosen based on their talent, their prior experiences, their dedication to serving others, and their ability to think creatively.
The program is structured to facilitate their development in these aspects, transforming promising students into successful leaders. The Brooke Owens Fellow journey is characterized by four key components:
1. Fellows are paired with industry leaders who place them in specific internship positions at some of the most exciting aerospace organizations. During a roughly 12-week summer period, Fellows undertake meaningful projects, acquire valuable skills, and receive a fair salary.
2. Additionally, each Fellow is assigned two mentors, one from their host company and another from a different part of the industry, both of whom hold senior or executive positions. Our pool of Mentors includes astronauts, CEOs, award-winning journalists, and senior government officials. These Mentors offer personalized guidance on maximizing the Fellowship experience and building a successful career.
3. Throughout the summer, all Fellows convene for an exclusive Summit, a unique event where they establish valuable connections and acquire essential skills. Besides collaborative projects and one-on-one mentorship sessions, the Summit features intense, private Q&A sessions with Congresswomen, astronauts, CEOs, and company founders.
4. By securing their place in the program, each Fellow becomes a permanent member of the Brooke Owens Fellowship network. This includes having direct and open communication channels with the program’s founders, mentors, host companies, and supporters, as well as access to the remarkable and passionate women and gender minorities within our alumnae network.
- SBI Foundation Scholarship
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
- Keep India Smiling Scholarship
- Rajarshi Shahu Maharaj Scholarship
- Suvarna Jubilee Scholarship
Below is what you’ll need to complete your application
In order to apply to be a Brooke Owens Fellow, you will need a:
- Long essay
- Creative piece
- Résumé, and;
- Two letters of recommendation.
Read on for the key details about all of those things! To help you navigate each part:
Applications are now open for the class of 2024! The application for the class of 2024 will be available from August 28th – October 7th, 2024.
The Brooke Owens Fellowship stands as a beacon of inclusivity and opportunity in the aerospace realm, offering a transformative experience that propels aspiring professionals towards impactful careers. Its commitment to diversity and empowerment continues to leave an indelible mark on the aerospace industry.
Check out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.