AfWA Research Scholarships are scholarships given to young African water and sanitation professionals as part of its capacity-building program for African stakeholders in the water, sanitation, and hygiene sector (AfriCap), which is supported by USAID.
The target beneficiaries are engineers in their final year of training and master’s students.
Each fellowship, with a maximum value of USD 1,000 (one thousand US dollars), will allow recipients to do research on a subject connected to the WASH sector that has been approved by a scientific report.
About AfWA Research Scholarships
Students from eleven (11) nations in West and Central Africa received sixty (60) scholarships from AfWA during the school years 2016–17, 2017–18, and 2018–19.
Additional three-year scholarships will be given out in various parts of Africa (2021-2024). Students from 13 nations have received fifteen (15) scholarships for the school year 2021–2022.
Additional fifteen (15) scholarships will be given out across Africa for the school year 2022-2023.
The maximum amount each recipient may receive as part of this scholarship is US $1,000.
Upon completion, approval by the research supervisor, and receipt by the AfWA Research and Capacity Development Program Coordinator, sixty percent (60%) of this sum will be paid to the recipient.
Once the grantee turns in the electronic version of their final research report, the remaining 40% will be awarded.
Scholarship Application Requirements
Applicants for the scholarship program will choose a theme from this call for applications to which they will relate their research questions.
They will also be able to submit an application for one of the study subjects that an AfWA member has suggested. On the AfWA website, topics will be accessible.
- Haileybury Scholarships Programme Application Details
- USQ Scholarships Programme Application Details
- UON Scholarships Programme for International Students
- UOW Scholarships Programme|Study at the University of Wollongong
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
To apply, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
1. Be a citizen of a sub-Saharan African country eligible for USAID funding.
2. Be in good standing academically with respect to their institution.
3. Submit an application file including:
- Student card or registration receipt for the current year
- Last completed degree
- Curriculum vitae (3 pages max)
- Three recommendation letters (one should be from the academic supervisor)
- Research proposal form to be downloaded from the AfWA website
How to Submit Your Application
Students wishing to participate in the program are requested to submit their full application by April 15, 2024.
The list of recipients for the 2023/2024 academic year shall be published by June 15, 2024.
Check out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.